04 March 2007

The Black Donnellys

Mediocre...most reviews have said this of NBC's newest show, the mafia crime drama entitled The Black Donnellys. It is about how four Irish brothers became the crime lords of their neighborhood. Reading reviews would probably put off a lot of viewers, especially those who are expecting this show to be just as good as The Sopranos. (Tip: Do not expect anything!)

Well, I loved it. I loved the pilot episode. And I don't even enjoy Paul Haggis' movies but this, his latest work, is something else.

The mood will kind of remind you of many famous productions that came before it like The Godfather or maybe even Scorsese's recent hit, The Departed. And I guess to me, that became the plus point. Never mind the cliches, never mind that a few of them probably needs to improve on acting. I enjoyed how the story panned out. For a first offering, it's really not so bad.

The ending made my hair stand-up and it's not an exaggeration. It is very familiar (like I said, it will remind you of The Departed), but it gave me goosebumps nevertheless.



The Black Donnellys
Season 1 Episode 1 - Pilot
Original Airing: February 26, 2007
Network: NBC