12 September 2011

Farewell, Spartacus [Andy Whitfield]

The first time I saw Spartacus: Blood and Sand, I dissed it. I dissed it like mad, telling anyone who asked that I wasn't gonna watch something that ridiculous. I thought the pilot had been a poor copycat of movies like Gladiator and 300.

Then a few weeks after it aired, I keep reading how other TV bloggers I look up to endlessly rave about the show.  And I began to doubt my choice. Did I miss something? How come I read nothing but praises for Spartacus?

It took me months to finally decide I was going to watch the show. Partly out of curiosity, and partly because viewers were raving about the guy playing the lead.

I did not know who Andy Whitfield was before watching Spartacus and I think, most of those watching have only heard of this Welsh actor for the very first time.

In his brief life, Andy Whitfield was able to show the world his talent and I got to witness that.


A statement from Andy Whitfield's wife, Vashti:
On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer. He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was.
Farewell, Spartacus.

Stand mighty and proud next to all those gladiators.