31 January 2013

Daily TV News: The Americans, Ratings Rant & More

THE AMERICANS debuts today. The period drama about KGB spies stars Keri Russell (Felicity) and Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters). I am stoked about this show and can't contain my excitement about watching it later. I've been waiting for Keri Russell to do TV again. The premiere is 1 1/2 hours long. Besides, a lot of reviews say The American is solid, worth watching. I haven't read anything bad about it. All praises! The show is aired on FX (cable).

My list of TV renewals and cancellations is updated. Lots of cable show renewals the other day.

Have you forgotten about the Sheriff in ONCE UPON A TIME? I almost did. But, look...he's returning! | via TV Guide.

Finally! I've been waiting for this for him! Meet THE BIG BANG THEORY's Raj's girlfriend! | via The Hollywood Reporter. I have been feeling so sorry for Raj. Coz in four seasons, he's the only one who...hasn't gotten laid. HAHAHA!

Renewed for their FINAL season next year: HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER | via Entertainment Weekly. Wrap it up! Wrap it up! Wrap it up!

Coolness! Christoph Waltz is hosting SNL! | via NBC's Press Page. I think Christoph Waltz is one of the best actors there is.

Top 10 American Idol earners. Not surprised w/#1, she is best among all winners; deserves title in its truest sense | via Forbes.

Not into web-series all that much. But this web show is slowly gaining a strong following, I'm starting to get curious. Lizzie Bennet Diaries is apparently a modern-day adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. I'm all the more curious to see it!

Wasn't a shocker on New Girl last night but the scene? Wow! That kiss was something else! "It Finally Happened! What's Next for Nick and Jess?" | via TV Guide.

ENTOURAGE is going to get a movie treatment. I can't even finish S1. Is it that good? | via Yahoo TV.

"Vampire Diaries' spinoff may use regular flashbacks" I KNEW IT!!! Baaaah!!! Too many shows doing flashbacks. WTH?! | via Entertainment Weekly.

##########

I've been having my piece about ratings on Twitter, especially the ones on The CW with shows like THE CARRIE DIARIES not gaining traction or EMILY OWENS MD being unceremonously cancelled when it's just starting to get better. And I'm also starting to grow concern over new faves like GO ON & THE MINDY PROJECT, whose prospects for renewal for S2 is slowly diminishing. You can follow my Twitter here.

TV is a business, I get that. And the ones who have to run the networks and make sure that losses are cut quicker before any more damage crops up, have to make the decisions that may not make a TV fan like me happy.

It sucks. But that's the way the business works, yeah?

But maybe James Van Der Beek had the right attitude about this when he said on Twitter that he was grateful their show was even given a chance to run. This he said after his show, DON'T TRUST THE BITCH IN APT 23, was taken off the air and had shut down production permanently.

So alright... looking at it that way, I am indeed appreciative we get to watch something fun, engrossing, entertaining and well-done. Even for just a season.

On to the next one then...