01 March 2014

[Scandal] Papa Pope is a scary motherfucker

Whenever this man starts delivering his lines on Scandal, I forget to breathe for air until he is done.

When Eli Pope goes off (and he's had several scenes like this, yeah?), I start getting confused about whether I should gasp for air, cower down in shame, call my parents and apologize for something, or just sit there and watch him until I'm so stunned, I turn blue in the face.

I know I'm not alone. You're probably also getting your fill from watching scenes with him unfold. Scandal is by no means great TV for me. But it's scenes like this that makes it so addicting to watch. The writers really know how to hook us, no?

From this week's episode... (Okay, the following is really much better heard than read, but since I can't splice the video into a smaller clip, this transcript should do.)

"You have no idea what happened. You have no idea what is currently happening. You're skipping around in a field full of bombs, and mistaking them for daisies. This...dear...sweet..child is what happened: The married man you can't seem to stay away from had me abducted and locked me up in chains, and spoke to me about the way you taste, while he allowed that terrorist to snake her way into my marriage bed to clear US airspace."
"What happened was.... the man you screw framed me by freeing the woman who gave birth to you as a bargaining chip. What happened was the man who defiled you also defiled an organization I gave my SOUL to build. THAT is what happened."
"What is currently happening is that President Fitzgerald Thomas Grant the Third has made an enemy, the WORST kind of enemy because I know ALL his secrets. I know where EVERY body is buried."

"And the greatest weapon I can use against him calls me DAD."
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue. The thing about that quote, Olivia is that it was from the good old days. It no longer applies today. Everyone is afraid. Everyone SHOULD be afraid. The President should be VERY afraid. And if I were you, Olivia, I would be terrified. I would pick up whatever chips you had left and I would RUN. As far away as possible from that burning building known as the White House. Run, Olivia, run. Because mark my words, Fitgerald Grant is not going to make the end of his term. Watch me."

Scurrry, no?